Saturday, December 1, 2012

PACKING, SMART AND SIMPLE




Do you really need to bring that?

I remember one of my first vacations with my nephew John. We spent a great week in France together; I believe it was his first trip abroad. When we met at the airport, the kid was toting two enormous suitcases.
 “Johnny, did you take packing lessons from Diana Ross?”
At the end of our trip I doubt he used 25% of the stuff he brought along. But he may have gained some arm strength from carrying it all.

I’ll tell you how strongly I feel about compact packing. When Cheryl and I became engaged, it was the only thing I asked her to agree to as part of our marriage contract (thank Buddha she said yes). Until this trip to Asia I have never, ever checked baggage. Now the game is getting to be a challenge as some airlines --Virgin Atlantic, I’m talking about you -- are getting very strict about carry-ons. It’s a means of making money, among other things. But if you can be light and a bit restrained in your packing, you will save time in security, breeze in and out of airports while others wait at baggage carousels, and never suffer the inconvenience of lost luggage.

So keep it simple. Of course, medicines, camera, sturdy shoes and even a laptop may be necessaries. But here are some of John’s hints for traveling light:

1.Travel clothing. Travel clothing made by Patagonia, Orvis, Ex Officio, REI and North Face, among others, is made with a strong but breathable synthetic fabric like polyester. It's virtually wrinkle-free and offers great features like zipper pockets and roll-up buttoned sleeves. It’s practical outdoors and looks good in a urban restaurant. And because it has little or no cotton or wool, this clothing can be hand-washed and dries in about an hour.

2. Layers. Layering allows you to use the same clothing for multiple purposes, and it also lets you adjust for conditions. A waterproof shell and a fleece can manage most weather the average tourist encounters.

3. Clothing as Souvenirs. Clothing is a much better souvenir than a key-chain or kitschy dust-collector. Save a little room in your suitcase to buy yourself something you can “wear while you’re there.”

4. Color-Coordinate. Not a big deal, just try to bring different articles that will work together in terms of color; this gives you more options to mix and match.



I have to walk my own talk. Here is a picture of my luggage for many months in Asia.    

No comments:

Post a Comment