Sunday, December 23, 2012

INDO FRUIT RUJAK and A DECO JEWEL



One of the most delicious things about Indonesia is its fresh fruit, and one of the best ways to enjoy it is fruit rujak. This is essentially fruit salad made of tropical fruit with a few optional ingredients and served with a sweet and spicy-hot sauce called bumbu. The bumbu is made with palm sugar, tamarind, ground sautéed peanuts, and just a bit of shrimp paste and chilis.

Fruit rujak is the perfect food. It's healthy, and it tastes wonderful, with an explosion of tastes and flavors in every bite. 

Some of the staff in my office made a big batch of the ingredients for a holiday treat, and let us make our own individual bowls. There was mango, papaya, cucumber, tofu, pineapple, melon, and a white crunchy root, the name of which I did not retain. See the pic below. Note that the green plastic container had extra sambal for those who like things extra spicy. I'm a little sheepish to admit that I went back for thirds. But honestly, I could not help myself...

The sublime salad, ready for assembly.
Extra bumbu for me, please.
The Rujak Elves

 ****************************************************************

The Hotel Majapahit Surabaya www.hotel-majapahit.com is the place I would stay as a visitor to the city. Built in 1910, the interior is a stunning example of elegant Deco architecture, with colanades, a green courtyard with fountain, and what is reputed to be the best Chinese restaurant in the city. I stopped in at the bar/café to have an espresso while checking out guitars downtown. The friendly bartender told me that the Hotel is in its original condition, which makes it even cooler. My copy of Lonely Planet says that rooms here start at $110, an amazing value. Let me know if you're coming to visit!



Hotel sitting area; high tea served


Entrance decorated for holidays
Bar detail with carved wood and stained glass
Deco figures in paneled bar




No comments:

Post a Comment